Work Visa Overview

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

A temporary worker visa is a nonimmigrant visa for individuals who wish to work temporarily in the United States.  There are several categories ("classifications") of temporary worker visas.  Some of these classifications have annual limits. The applicant’s qualifications, type of work to be performed, and other factors determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law.   

Below is a summary of these visas.  For more information on any of them, click on the visa title or on the menu to the left.

Note that the “A” Visa, G Visa, and NATO Visa are similar diplomatic visas.  The “A” Visa applies to diplomats and foreign government officials, and their assistants; the G Visa applies to national representatives to international organizations; the NATO Visa applies to NATO representatives, staff, and families.  Anyone in the diplomatic field may wish to review the descriptions for all three of these visas.

A Visa—diplomats, foreign government officials, and their assistants

C Visa (Transit Visa)—individuals whose travel takes them through the U.S., without actually entering the U.S. 

D Visa (Crewman Visa)—individuals serving on board a vessel or aircraft

E Visa—treaty traders, treaty investors, and certain “specialty occupation" professionals from Australia

G Visa—national representatives to international organizations, like the United Nations

H-1B Visa—individuals with bachelor's or higher degrees in the specific specialty to work in "specialty occupations"

H-2A Visa—temporary agricultural workers for jobs for which qualified U.S. workers are unavailable 

H-2B Visa—temporary nonagricultural workers for jobs for which qualified U.S. workers are unavailable

H-3 Visa—individuals seeking non-medical education and non-graduate training not available in their country and individuals participating in a special education exchange program

I Visa (Journalists/Media Visa)—representatives of the foreign media traveling to the U.S. for their profession

J Visa (Exchange Visitors)—participants in exchange visitor programs in the U.S. through a designated sponsoring organization

L-1 Visa (Intra-Company Transferee Visa)—employees whose multi-national company employers seek their services in the U.S.

NATO Visa—certain representatives and staff of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) member countries

O Visa—individuals with extraordinary ability in science, education, business, or athletics, and their assistants

P Visa—internationally recognized and culturally unique entertainers and athletes

Q-1 Visa—participants in U.S. government-approved international cultural exchange programs

R-1 Visa—ministers and religious workers

TN Visa—Canadian and Mexican nationals with the necessary North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) professional qualification credentials


I got I-129 approval and visited for an interview in Delhi for R1 visa. Consular asked me two questions how much is your salary and are you married . I told them 20000 p/m and I am unmarried.
After that, the officer lady handed me a letter 214 b.
A year before my B1 B2 visa was cancelled at US port because their officer assumed that I am entering for religious work. There I was told that I need a proper visa to re enter USA. So that I apply for r1 that has been refused.
What should I do now?
Should I re-apply for R1 with same approved petition I-129

You need to get a lawyer, sir. Someone should look at your case in detail.

Note: Not intended to create attorney-client relationship.  Answers could be incomplete, incorrect or outdated.  Use caution.

I am currently on h4 and the stamping expired in 2014 . I am in India now and plan to return to US by end of this month or early Sep. my husband recently changed job and received his h1 petition papers last week. I am trying to get an appointment for h4 stamping at Chennai which shows the next available date as Dec 2. Is there a way to get an earlier appointment , say last week of Aug/1st week of Sep? My husband is also planning to come to India and we are going together to get our visas stamped. Do the local travel agents have any dates quota with them , can we go through them to get an earlier date for stamping?

Myself and my girlfriend are thinking of relocations to the USA! I don't really understand the procedure so was wondering if anybody to give me a step by step guide.
I am a British national. I am a fully qualified JIB Electrican.
My girlfriend is a fashion designer. Can these jobs help with our progress to relocation.

Joshua, the first step in immigrating through a job is to locate a US employer who is willing to offer you a job. Then speak with a lawyer about your options.

Note: Not intended to create attorney-client relationship.  Answers could be incomplete, incorrect or outdated.  Use caution.