Applying I-485 On My Own

Is it possible for me to apply I-485 on my own when I have I-140 approved and having receipt number? I am on L-1A visa, employer is not ready to neither provide I-140 approval notice nor file I-485. What documents you need to apply for I-485, is there any documents required from my employer, who actually is not cooperating so that I do not leave, which I do not intend to leave.

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

You will need a confirmation of continued employment ("job letter") to file I-485. You should also put in a FOIA request to see you if you can get a copy of the I-140 approval.

Green Card: 
Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment