I am a US citizen who Sponsored my fathers green card in 2010. His green card is expiring oct 2020. He had to stay in India since Jan 2019 due to health conditions. With the Covid pandemic situation and his age (81) and health conditions, he is not able to travel back to the united States before the green card expiry. My father does not have any family in India to take care of him and will have to come here so that my brother and I can take care of him. What are our options for avoiding the expiry of the green card? Secondly, is there a 60 day extension on the expiry date due to Covid 19?
1. How does the National Visa Center fit into the U.S. immigration process?
2. USCIS sent my immigrant visa petition to the NVC. Now what happens?<br>
3. How do I know if my priority date meets the most recent cut-off date? What does that mean?
4. How do I know what my priority date is?
5. How Do I Contact the NVC?
1. After U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approves your immigrant visa petition, USCIS forwards your petition to the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, NH for immigrant visa pre-processing at the correct time. Immediate relative categories do not have yearly numerical limits. However, family preference and employment based immigrant categories have numerical limits each year; therefore, lengthy wait times are involved for processing to begin.
2. If your Priority Date meets the most recent Cut-off Date, or is likely to become current soon, the NVC will:
If your Priority Date DOES NOT meet the most recent Cut-off Date, the NVC will notify you and hold your petition until your Priority Date meets the most recent Cut-off Date or is likely to become current soon. As your Priority Date gets closer to the Cut-off Date, NVC will contact you to start processing. The Department of State updates the Cut-off Dates on a monthly basis in the Visa Bulletin
3. If your Priority Date meets the most recent Cut-off Date (called becomes current) and your petition is ready to begin processing at the NVC. As your Priority Date gets closer to the Cut-off Date and is likely to be current soon, NVC will contact you to start processing. Learn more by reviewing the Visa Bulletin.
4. USCIS assigned your immigrant visa petition a Priority Date when you filed it with USCIS. If you are unsure of your Priority Date, you should refer to the Approval Notice that you received from USCIS.
What the Visa Expiration Date Means
In terms of scheduling an interview, are there any special considerations in consideration of an expedited appointment?
According to the State Department they will typically grant expedited appointments to applicants who wish to go for funerals, family visits in medical emergencies, emergency medical treatment, the start of a school term, or important business travel. All requests are submitted through a form on the website. The center responds to all requests within 24 hours. The center recommends that applicants upload evidence along with the request, especially in medical cases, as outside vendors submit a large number of spurious requests daily.
When using the new visa appointment site, what should my client list in the mandatory field that asks for the "Request Number"?
When a visa applicant sets up a user account in the appointment system, an 8-digit identifying number is assigned to the applicant. When logged into the appointment system, this "Request Number" appears in white against a red background in the upper right hand corner of the screen in parentheses after the applicant's e-mail address: