Extension FAQs

Impact of alternate wage survey for H-1B LCA; the success rates of H-1B extensions; AC21 rule when the company is bought by a successor-in-interest

Authored on: Tue, 09/20/2022 - 06:36

Question

Impact of alternate wage survey for H-1B LCA; the success rates of H-1B extensions; AC21 rule when the company is bought by a successor-in-interest
 

 

Answer

Video URL

Left while Extension pending. B-1/B-2 visa inspection at the airport by the CBP and repercussions

Authored on: Fri, 02/25/2022 - 01:27

Question

We live in Delaware. We had extended my parent's B2 Visa twice in the past. Once in 2016 and it was approved. Second time in 2018, but they went back to India before the decision on extension. For the second extension, we got a letter from USCIS stating, "Since they left the country, USCIS is not approving the extension, However they can travel again"

Again in 2019, they came and left the US in 6 months.

This year, they came last week on Jan 31 2022, but CBP in Philadelphia airport took them for inspection at the port of entry. After a long wait time, CBP came back and told them that they had overstayed and they had canceled their B2 Visa. CBP gave a letter that they can stay for three months and leave the country before April 30.

Though we followed the process defined, we are really not sure why they canceled the visa.

With this situation, Can you please advise what is our option,

1. Can we appeal for visa reinstatement?

2. Can we go back to the country and apply for a B2 Visa again in May ? Or should we wait for some time before applying again?

 

Answer

Video URL

STEM extension denied based on approved H-1B pending for withdrawal at a USCIS service center

Authored on: Mon, 12/20/2021 - 09:15

Question

I am in the initial OPT which expires on November 30, 2021. My STEM extension has been denied based on an approved H-1B which has been pending for withdrawal at the Texas Service Center for the last five months. My current employer’s attorney raised the Ombudsman request on Oct 25, 2021 and I’ve taken a U.S. state senator's help to submit an inquiry on October 19, 2021. I have received no response so far from USCIS orthe online forums.  It seems it will  take 30 days to get a response at least from the Ombudsman and the case inquiry but I’m running out of time.  My previous employer's attorney is not willing to join a call with a Tier -2 officer and they're not helpful at all. My current employer is re-applying for my STEM OPT extension on November 24, 2021 with all the evidence possible but it's already past 60 days. I can't get a new I-20 because my SEVIS record is closed and they're not sure I'll get a favorable discretionary decision because my H-1B is still approved.

I am hoping the USCIS officer would show some discretion but from past experience I am afraid they will not. I am not really sure what to do here. I might end with a financial loss.  Please guide me with your suggestions.

 

Answer

Video URL

 

You have done everything that you can. But there are a couple of things I would suggest. The first thing I would suggest is that you talk to your DSO and explain to them the situation. Have them talk to the civic people and see if they can allow your service reinstatement based upon evidence of withdrawal or request for withdrawal. They may not be able to but it's worth a try.

The second thing you can do is try to reach the Tier-2 USCIS officer over the phone with your employer, manager, HR person or somebody from the office. Once you get to a Tier-2 officer, talk to them and explain the situation and ask them for a suggestion.

 

STEM extension application is pending with USCIS due to a USCIS error in failing to withdraw H-1

Authored on: Thu, 12/16/2021 - 08:46

Question

I am in the initial OPT which expires on November 30th, 2021. My STEM Extension has been denied based on approved H1-b which is pending withdrawal at the Texas Service Center for the last 6 months. My current employer’s attorney raised the Ombudsman request a week ago and I’ve taken Ohio senator's help to submit inquiry two weeks ago but no response so far from the USCIS and also from online forums it seems it’ll take 30 days to get a response at least but I’m running out of my time. My employer is reapplying for my STEM OPT in two weeks again.  Do I need to take any other steps to get this issue resolved?

Answer

Video URL

Impact on H-1B status of using advance parole

Authored on: Thu, 12/16/2021 - 08:37

Question

H1-B Visa Stamp Expired - but H1-B Status Valid until Sept 2023 (I-797 Approval Notice) 

I-140 approved long back, I-485 pending (PD not current but close), I-765 + I-131 approved Combo Card. Travelled to India with both H-1B I-797 and I-485 EAD/AP (Validity was 1 Year) and returned a couple months back; chose to return on I-485 AP because could not get a Visa Drop Box Appointment. New I-94 received upon entry is only valid till AP expiry date; which is prior to H-1B I-94 attached to I-797 (Sept 2023). No change of Employer before or after the travels - return to the same employer.

a) Does the use of AP on returning mean the H-1B status is abandoned in this case?

b) Will I fall out of status after August 2022 - based on this new I-94 with AP entry?

c) Can the already approved H1B status be reinstated (if it was abandoned) and also be extended like regular H1B extension after 2023 - if yes, would that need a travel out of the country before August 2022 and return on H-1B visa stamp?

 

Answer

Video URL

Extension of EAD for H-4 and EAD for L-2

Authored on: Thu, 12/02/2021 - 02:27

Question

I am on my H-1B and my wife is currently on her H-4. With the new bill does she still need to wait for my I-140 to be approved?

Answer

There is no new bill, just a policy clarification. And, yes, she will have to wait per the law.

Consequences of extending parents’ B-1/B-2 (visitors/tourist) status more than once

Authored on: Tue, 09/21/2021 - 06:25

Question

What are the consequences if we extend parents visitor's visa's stay for more than 1 time? Will it be a problem when they come back to US again? Is the minimum time to come back again still 6 months?

Answer

Video URL

H-1B Extension beyond 6 Years; Stay Outside One year; Remainder Option

Authored on: Mon, 06/14/2021 - 05:46

Question

I stayed in US on H1b from 2013-18, almost 5 years and went back to India. In 2020(after 1 year of cooling period), my employer has filed new application for H1B and lottery got selected in 2020.
I got my visa stamped in April 2021 with a validity till 2023.Because of new location & salary mismatch, I had to file the amendment and this time I got the approval for next 9 months only till March 2022.
On further enquiry with my employer's immigration team, I came to know that USCIS has used the remaining 9 months on the first H1B. My queries are:
1. Does it mean I will be allowed around 7 consecutive years of stay in US( 9 months on older visa plus 6 years on new visa) or I need to come back to India and serve 1 year of cooling period after spending 9 months ?
2. Will my new visa be applicable once I spend 9 months of time in US?
3. Is there a way I can opt to take approval duration on the current visa only?

Answer

Video URL

Doing business on AOS EAD and on H-4 EAD/extension

Authored on: Fri, 03/26/2021 - 09:59

Question

1. I know, someone on EAD based on AOS waiting for I-485 approval must produce a valid job offer (Supplement J) during GC interview. Once the person update work status as EAD on Form I9, then the legal status will become EAD based on AOS. Can the person start a business/startup while on EAD with pending I-485? If yes, should the person notify USCIS about it? Does Form I9 need to submitted for starting/running a business/startup?

2. I know, someone on H4 EAD can he start a business? 
 

Answer

Video URL

Visitor, Tourist, B-2 visa extensions and multiple extensions

Authored on: Mon, 01/11/2021 - 11:57

Question

My Mother-in-law arrived in the USA on Feb 19th, 2020 on visitor visa (B2), her initial plan was to stay till Aug 11th 2020 but due to covid-19 and travel ban we have applied extension for another 6 months - Feb 4th, 2021 on June 19th, 2020. Her case status is still under processing("Case Was Received") even though she is getting close to the end of first extension. Since she is over 62 and belongs to high-risk traveler category(with pre-existing conditions), we would like to extend her stay for another 6 months, mostly till June 2021. Her authorized stay(I-94) expired on 8/18/2020
<br>

1) Can we apply the second extension for another 6 months while her first extension is in processing, if yes, what is the process?<br>

2) Can she stay in the US even after Feb 4th (first application requested end-date) while the application is being processed, will this be considered overstay?<br>

3) What happens if my mother in law leaves before biometrics appointment?<br>

4) if rejected, how soon do we have to leave the US and will the stay from I-94 is considered as overstay?<br>

5) Staying beyond 1 yr has any impact on future visits?

Answer

Watch the Video on this FAQ: Visitor, Tourist, B-2 visa extensions and multiple extensions

Video Transcript:

This FAQ has become such a problem for people. Answering to the question:

1. Yes, you can.

2. Yes, she can.

3. Just keep track of all the paperwork you have filed to make sure you can prove to the government that she was legally in the United States. She can leave before the biometrics.

4. Reasonable time. A few days to three weeks depending upon what is reasonable under the circumstances.

5. If she stays here for six months or one year, let her stay outside for at least a year otherwise the government can refuse her entry saying you have been coming too frequently. FAQ in detail...

 

 

Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.