I'm on F-1 OPT with a STEM MS Degree. If I put a startup, I will be performing my roles directly related to the degree.
1) To establish employer-employee relations would having a board of directors be sufficient during STEM OPT?
2) If I apply for EB2-NIW and get I-140 approval then can I immediately shift to other non-tech roles within my startup (CTO -> CEO) Or do I have to wait for 6 months before doing that, all the while when I-485 is pending?
3) If I shift immediately and use I-485 EAD instead of F-1 EAD, then can that lead to I-485 being rejected?
Should I wait at least 6 months before using I-485 EAD? Also, if the startup fails, does that discontinue my I-485 process having approved I-140?
I am in the F1 OPT period and I worked with Amazon from August 2022 to May 2023. My H1B got picked in the lottery this year, and got it approved in June 2023. Currently, I’m in my 90-day period of unemployment, and would possibly get a new job with another employer before it ends.
I don’t want to lose my H1B this year. Is there any way that I can transfer my approved H1B to the new employer?
Currently, I am holding a STEM OPT from May 2022 until May 2024 (2 years).
My employer had applied for H1B this year and last year but had no luck.
Question and suggestion, please:
1) What are my legal options?
1.1 Apply for H1b next year in March and wait for the result, In case H1b is picked, how do I process it as my STEM opt expires in May 2024?
2) Enroll in university for the Master's degree?
2.1 I have a few classes remaining for my master's as I have finished my bachelor's degree in the USA and I take Day One CPT? Once a master's degree is complete, reapply for OPT and STEM OPT.
2.2 Should I continue to apply for H1B in the meantime?
3) If I apply for Master and Day One CPT, do I need to enroll for May–August 2024 (the summer class) or can I enroll for Fall 2024?
Note: STEM OPT Expires: May 15, 2024, or please suggest any other better option to stay in the USA.
Lastly, my passport expires in May 2024 as well. Is there any problem there?
- I'm thinking of starting the process for the renewal online. Should I do it now or wait for some time?
My case in brief:
I am currently of F1 OPT (STEM), valid until 15th June 2023.
My company will be filing for H1B this March.
However, I am wondering if I should be filing for an H4 visa simultaneously.
Could you tell me how long it takes for an H4 visa and an h4 EAD to process?
If I file for an H4 visa in February, would I lose my f1 visa as soon as the h4 visa is approved?
Is there any new policy where I can get h4EAD sooner? And moved my F1 EAD to h4 EAD without any employment gap?
Should I wait for the h1b result before applying for an h4 visa?
What is the best scenario to switch from F1 OPT EAD to h4 EAD, without/minimum employment gap?
I am in the 1st year of my 2-year STEM OPT after completing Bachelors Degree. Can I do another set of OPT + 2 year STEM OPT if I complete my Masters Degree? Does the Masters also have to be in STEM field to utilize the post Masters OPT+2 year STEM OPT?
I am currently on STEM Extension and my visa expires in July 2023. I also have a masters degree here in the states. I wanted to know what my options are..
If the suggestion is Day-1 CPT, I wanted to know how safe/legit it is! I have heard that going on Day-1 CPT can cause some issues when your H1 gets picked and may lead to RFE?
What are the chances of an H-1B visa (STEM OPT) after completing Masters in the U.S?
Q1. If I change my employer while my H-1B COS is filed but not yet approved, then can I keep using my OPT and STEM with my new employer, or I will lose both OPT & H-1B, and will be out of status?
Q2. If my H-1B COS is denied, then can I keep using my OPT and STEM, or I will lose both OPT & H-1B, and will be out of status?
Q3. How often does it happen that H-1B COS, transfer, and renewal get denied? And what could be possible reasons for denial?
1. Can I have multiple employers i.e. jobs in the first year of OPT and also after getting STEM OPT extension?
2. Can all my employers start my green process simultaneously?
3. If H-1B COS is approved through one employer i.e. switched from OPT to H-1B, can I still continue other jobs and GC process with them? If not, is there a way to continue all jobs?
4. Does it make a green card case stronger if the sponsoring employer is a big renowned company like Microsoft or Amazon? Also, what about if the company is small?
5. Does OPT, STEM, and H-1B allow you to do a job that allows remote work from within the U.S. regardless of the pandemic? Is such a job eligible for H-1B and green card sponsorship?
1. Currently, I am on STEM OPT, working with my DSO-approved employer. My uncle wants to start a company and asked me for my help. So, an I help him without being an employee of his company?
2. Is active professional volunteering to a family member's company a violation of the F-1 STEM OPT status? I hold a Professional Engineer's license. If I let him use my license for his company, will that be ok under my current immigration status?
3. Can I be a partner in the company and an employee of the company if my uncle hires me as an employee?
I am in the initial OPT which expires on November 30, 2021. My STEM extension has been denied based on an approved H-1B which has been pending for withdrawal at the Texas Service Center for the last five months. My current employer’s attorney raised the Ombudsman request on Oct 25, 2021 and I’ve taken a U.S. state senator's help to submit an inquiry on October 19, 2021. I have received no response so far from USCIS orthe online forums. It seems it will take 30 days to get a response at least from the Ombudsman and the case inquiry but I’m running out of time. My previous employer's attorney is not willing to join a call with a Tier -2 officer and they're not helpful at all. My current employer is re-applying for my STEM OPT extension on November 24, 2021 with all the evidence possible but it's already past 60 days. I can't get a new I-20 because my SEVIS record is closed and they're not sure I'll get a favorable discretionary decision because my H-1B is still approved.
I am hoping the USCIS officer would show some discretion but from past experience I am afraid they will not. I am not really sure what to do here. I might end with a financial loss. Please guide me with your suggestions.
You have done everything that you can. But there are a couple of things I would suggest. The first thing I would suggest is that you talk to your DSO and explain to them the situation. Have them talk to the civic people and see if they can allow your service reinstatement based upon evidence of withdrawal or request for withdrawal. They may not be able to but it's worth a try.
The second thing you can do is try to reach the Tier-2 USCIS officer over the phone with your employer, manager, HR person or somebody from the office. Once you get to a Tier-2 officer, talk to them and explain the situation and ask them for a suggestion.
I am in the initial OPT which expires on November 30th, 2021. My STEM Extension has been denied based on approved H1-b which is pending withdrawal at the Texas Service Center for the last 6 months. My current employer’s attorney raised the Ombudsman request a week ago and I’ve taken Ohio senator's help to submit inquiry two weeks ago but no response so far from the USCIS and also from online forums it seems it’ll take 30 days to get a response at least but I’m running out of my time. My employer is reapplying for my STEM OPT in two weeks again. Do I need to take any other steps to get this issue resolved?
USCIS now interprets the 24-month STEM OPT extension rule from 2016 to require a STEM OPT worker to be placed only at a worksite of the employer. In other words, the USCIS now says that any offsite placement, including at a third-party worksite, is prohibited. Will this affect the H1B petitions filed by employers for such opt students, where they are working at an end client location (not employer location) and the H1B petition was filed with end client details.
Can I apply for STEM OPT, if I work for a E-Verified staffing agency (similar to Aerotek, Kelly services) on contract basis that is related to my STEM field of education at a client location ?. (I along with staffing agency will fill out I983 form) <br>
I read online that USCIS has regulated "Certain Types of Employment" for STEM OPT in this new rule. So am worried that working for a staffing company at a client company location is therefore invalid :/ ((If so, I think then all the staffing companies would suffer as well))<br>
I have attached hereby the snippet from Federal Register:<br>
""""""There are several aspects of the STEM OPT extension that do not make it apt for certain types of arrangements, including multiple employer arrangements, sole proprietorships, employment through “temp” agencies, employment through consulting firm arrangements that provide labor for hire, and other relationships that do not constitute a bona fide employer-employee relationship. One concern arises from the difficulty individuals employed through such arrangements would face in complying with, among other things, the training plan requirements of this rule. Another concern is the potential for visa fraud arising from such arrangements. Furthermore, evaluating the merits of such arrangements would be difficult and create additional burdens for DSOs. Accordingly, DHS clarifies that students cannot qualify for STEM OPT extensions unless they will be bona fide employees of the employer signing the Training Plan, and the employer that signs the Training Plan must be the same entity that employs the student and provides the practical training experience. DHS recognizes that this outcome is a departure from SEVP's April 23, 2010 Policy Guidance (1004-03)."""""
It would be really helpful if you could explain what the above paragraph means.
Video Transcript: Basically what the government is saying is that if you have staffing arrangement or a consulting arrangement and you are not directly supervising the employee who is on OPT STEM extension on the site where they are working then you should not be filing for their STEM OPT extension. So far this is what we know of the USCIS comments. I have not heard anything different from USCIS so far.
Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.
1. How do I apply for F-1 OPT?
2. How do I get a 17-month STEM extension of my post-completion OPT?
1. Once you receive a recommendation for post-completion OPT from your Designated School Official (DSO) to pursue OPT, you must apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) with USCIS within 30 days. Additionally, you may file up to 90 days prior to your program end-date and not later than 60 days after your program end date.
2. If you have completed a qualifying Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) degree, and you are currently in an approved post-completion OPT period based on a designated STEM degree, you may be eligible to apply for a 17-month STEM extension of your post-completion OPT. For a STEM degree to qualify, it must appear on the STEM Designated Degree Program List. If you want to apply for a STEM extension, you must file for an extension of your EAD with USCIS before your current OPT work authorization expires. USCIS recommends that you file 90 days before the expiration of your OPT.
For further information visit the USCIS page on F-1 OPT requirements
I am currently on my Post-completion OPT. I was recently hired as an IT by a company which agreed to sponsor my H-1B. My OPT expires on January 2013. I've done my Associate Degree in Computer Science. Also, I have BS in Computer Science but from foreign country. Seven year experience in IT.I had my BS evaluated recently. It is equivalent to US Bachelors Degree in Computer Science Computer Technology.
Q1: I will have a gap of 3 months before April 1. How to maintain my status?
Q2: I am under STEM not with my US AAS but with my foreign BS degree. Can I extend my OPT with my evaluated diploma?
A1. You can consider going back to school or B-1/B-2 status. There is information on our blog on B-1/B-2 to maintain status.
A2. STEM OPT extension is only for US bachelor's or above. Foreign degree does not help in that.