My sister is in India and the prospective groom is a US citizen. They have concerns about how to proceed with marriage and relocation of the girl to US in a timely manner (prefer not to wait more than a year for marriage/ living together post-marriage for personal reasons) Current fiancé visa processing time seems to be 15 months. It was not this long pre-covid, realistically can this processing time reduce this year? If they do marriage in India first, what’s the quickest way for her to come to US and how long would it take She has a valid B1. Can she travel on that to US post-marriage for 5-6 months only without any risk to her green card application? She is trying to get an L1-B visa through her current company. Will that visa approval be affected if they get married in the meanwhile? In short, what is the quickest path for her marriage & relocation to the US right now?
I had applied for H-1B extension on May 15, 2015 with I-94 card expiring on Aug 29,2015. Due to some emergency, I traveled to India in June and returned in July with new I-94 card expiring on Nov 2015. Now, it's been 6 months that I applied for extension, no response from USCIS. Will there be any problem since I filed my H-1B extension with old I-94. Do we need to amend my case with new I-94 card?
If you file for your H-1extension you are allowed to travel. You are allowed to travel even when your H-1 transfer
Can I get K visa for my spouse? I am a US immigrant with green card. Is there something called a V visa?
V visa no longer exists. There is no K visa option for green card holders. Sorry.
Can an attorney reopen a K or I-130 designated for revocation by USCIS? If yes, what is the procedure?
The State Department says that the Consulate will review additional documentation until the case has been physically transferred to USCIS.
What happens when a K visa is denied at the Post?
The State Department says that if a K visa is awaiting documentation requested by the interviewing officer, it is denied under 221(g). The case will remain at the Post until expiration, after which it will be returned to USCIS. Fraudulent fiancé petition cases will be returned with a return memo to USCIS via NVC.
How long is it taking for K-3 visa to get approved? If we moved the wedding to Jan 31st, is there a chance to get K-3 approved by July 31st? My sister's fiance is in India. She lives in Philadelphia (Vermont service center). I also hear K-3 is getting closed automatically because I-130 is approved. Is this true?
Once the I-130 is approved and consulate is notified of the approval, they will not issue a K-3. They expect us to wait for the green card approval.
How can I bring my fiancé to United States, can I apply for him by green card? I am not still a citizen.
There is no fiance visa for non-citizens, but look into the waiting times for spouses of green card holders. Those times are pretty good right now.
My boyfriend came into the USA legally with a work visa at the age of 18 but it expired and he stayed the next 5 years in the country illegally working as a waiter. We met a year ago and started dating and fell in love but he already had plans to move back to Brazil because he wanted to study and that wasn't possible here...and he left 3 months ago. Will we have issues applying for the K1 Visa since he was here for several years as an illegal immigrant?
It looks to me that he is subject to a 10-year bar from entering USA and would not get a K-1 visa. Please take an appointment with a lawyer and discuss your (only) option of getting a waiver.
I was was born here in the USA. I am a widow. My boyfriend he is in India.
1.Does K1 Visa have any age differences, because I am 47 and my boyfriend is 25 he is single.. Does this make any problem.?
2.I have not met in person ?
3.I am not working, I am taking care of a person, and I have 3 kids, will marraige be a problem with kids?
4.Once I was caught for drinking and driving & paid the ticket, does this effect K-1 Visa ?
This will not be an easy K-1. First, the age difference is likely to viewed by the govt. as an indication of fraud. Second, you are required to meet - unless there are some extraordinary circumstances. Kids and drunk driving should not be an issue.
I needed more information On the k visa. My fiancé is recently in the country of Port-au-prince, Haiti. Additionally I wanted to know if I sign these paper's for him can I add his 5 year old daughter and his 21 year old cousin on the paper's. His cousin recently lost his mother and father during the earthquake. I'am an American citizen.
Daughter should be possible, cousin would not.
Can I petition my girlfriend once we get married in the philippines? What is the best way to petition her as soon as possible...
Yes you can. Normally, I prefer K-1 - marriage in USA route.
What is the fastest way to have my fiance and her children join me here in the US. They are Mexican citizens and I am a US ciitizen. We want to get married. The question is, which process is faster for them to be able to join me here?
The fiance visa is, generally speaking, faster.
I am married to a U.S. born citizen we just got married, is there a problem if I apply for the visa right after marriage? Do I have to leave the U.S? How long will it take to receive the visa?
I see no reason to wait. Bear in mind, if consulate receives your I-130 approval, they will not issue a K-3. They will ask you to wait for your green card.
I want to apply for a K 1 visa for my fiance and her 10 year old child. What is the waiting period for this visa type, and what can I do to expedite the process.
The processing times can be determined from this page http://www.immigration.com/processing-times-and-status-checks. As to expedite, check with USCIS customer service if they have any recommendations.
I applied for a fiance visa and it has been approved but now sent to the NVC center to be processed, what are the next steps and do I need my fiance to get his passport and medical done now or should I wait for instructions? At this point I do not know what to do.
Wait for instructions from the NVC and then the consulate.
My fiance and I have started the process with USCIS for a 129-f petition.Are paperwork was recieved on the 24th of March and it may take up to 5 months to complete our petition.My question is, my fiance is a Canadian and she has a son.we really want to have him start school in California in the city where I reside.We will have him registered in the same school as my son for the up coming 2010 school year.Is there anyway that they can come and stay while the petition is pending so he can start school?We have a home to sell in Canada and want to get that under way as well.
The only way I can think of is driving through from Canada. At the border, his situation should be explained to the CBP officers. It is their discretion to permit or not permit the entry.
My fiance came as k-1 and we got married within the 90 days but didn't file for AOS untile a few days before his I-94 expired? What will happen? will they still accept the application or what will we have to do next?
I think you will be fine. As I recall, the law only requires you to get married within 90 days. But confirm this information and do check with a lawyer as to whether you may travel or not while AOS is pending. This could be the only issue I can think of.
My boyfriend is a u.s citizen and we want to get married. The problem is that i came to mexico and i cant go back. I was wondering if there was any visa or anything that he can get for me to go back before i get my greencard. And how long and how much it takes to do the whole process.
You could look into a fiancee visa (K-1). It can take a few months.
If a person comes to United States with a K1 visa and the petitioner didn't marry him or her what happens to the beneficiary? Especially if the beneficiary is a victim of domestic violence and there is a minor child in between? Is there any change in the law that could benefit the victim?
Such person would be deportable unless they come under Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) or similar provisions.
May B-1/B-2, E-1, E-2, F-1, H-1, J-1, L-1 O-1 visa or TN holder apply for green card?
One of the questions I am asked quite frequently is whether or not an E-1/E-2 visa holder can apply for a green card and not jeopardize his or her E status. The answer is PROBABLY yes he can.
In the E visa context, this is what the govt says:
9 FAM 41.51 N15 INTENT TO DEPART UPON TERMINATION OF STATUS
An applicant for an E visa need not establish intent to proceed to the United States for a specific temporary period of time. Nor does an applicant for an E visa need to have a residence in a foreign country which the applicant does not intend to abandon. The alien may sell his or her residence and move all household effects to the U.S. The alien's expression of an unequivocal intent to return when the E status ends is normally sufficient, in the absence of specific indications of evidence that the alien's intent is to the contrary. If there are such objective indications, inquiry is justified to assess the applicant's true intent. As discussed in 9 FAM 41.54 N4, an applicant might be a beneficiary of an immigrant visa petition filed on his or her behalf. However, the alien might satisfy the consular officer that his and/or her intent is to depart the United States upon termination of status, and not stay in the United States to adjust status or otherwise remain in the United States regardless of legality of status.
So, are they saying they will apply the same standards as given in the note below? I THINK that is what they are saying, but this is not clear.
9 FAM 41.54 N4 ISSUE OF TEMPORARINESS OF STAY
L aliens are specifically excluded from the intending immigrant presumption of section 214(b) of the INA and are, furthermore, not required to have a residence abroad which they have no intention of abandoning. In addition, INA 214(h) provides the fact that an alien has sought permanent residence in the United States does not preclude him or her from obtaining an L nonimmigrant visa (NIV) or otherwise obtaining or maintaining that status. The alien may legitimately come to the United States as a nonimmigrant under the L classification and depart voluntarily at the end of his or her authorized stay, and, at the same time, lawfully seek to become a permanent resident of the United States. Consequently, the consular officer's evaluation of an applicant's eligibility for an L visa shall not focus on the issue of temporariness of stay or immigrant intent.
There exists in law something called the "doctrine of dual intent." This doctrine permits nonimmigrants to have immigrant intent. In other words, even though, you are coming to USA on a visa that is temporary, you may pursue your green card (exhibiting intent to live in USA permanently).
By law, L-1 and H-1 holders are PERMITTED by the doctrine of dual intent to have their green cards pending. This is beyond question. That your green card application is pending can never be a ground for denial of your H or L visa application (includes H-4 and L-2).
As I have noted above, E-1, E-2 visas have an unclear situation. It appears the consulates WILL permit them dual intent, but may not(???). They do NOT have the same level of protection as H and L visas but usually consulates will permit dual intent.
The following visa types have no such protection and their vise or entry into USA can be denied if they have a green card application application in process: B-1, B-2, F-1/F-2, J-1, J-2.
O-1 is allowed to have an immigrant intent (by regulations - though not by statute).
Pursuant to 8 CFR Section 214.2(O)(13)
(13) Effect of approval of a permanent labor certification or filing of a preference petition on O classification. The approval of a permanent labor certification or the filing of a preference petition for an alien shall not be a basis for denying an O-1 petition, a request to extend such a petition, or the alien's application for admission, change of status, or extension of stay. The alien may legitimately come to the United States for a temporary period as an O-1 nonimmigrant and depart voluntarily at the end of his or her authorized stay and, at the same time, lawfully seek to become a permanent resident of the United States.
TN is also not allowed dual intent, but are often not questioned on their green card pendency.
We have an appointment set for the K-3 interview in Nairobi. Our I-130 Petition has been approved, IV fees payed and documents submitted. We have not seen each other since 12/08. If we go forward with K-3 processing, what are the negative consequences? Will my approved I-130 be cancelled?
In your case, a K-3 cannot be issued. You must wait for IV.
If an I-130 is approved, K-3 can still be approved if the consulate has not yet received OFFICIAL notice of approval of I-130. Note that your I-30 will NEVER be canceled.The recommended practice in K-3 cases is to indicate on the Form I-130 that the beneficiary will apply for AOS. Nevertheless, it is too late for that now. If they have received official notification, then an immigrant visa (green card will be issued) after processing locally. It should not take too much extra time.