General FAQ FAQs

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 - 05:59

L1B - resignation in US


I am currently on L1B in US. Could you please let me know if it is legal to resign on L1B while am in US or is it required by law that I need to return to my home country and resign? Am on US payroll and I believe am governed by US labour laws and they will supersede the Indian laws even if I signed a document mentioning that I will return to India. Could you please confirm?


What you are asking me has nothing to do with US immigration laws. This is a matter for an employment lawyer in the state where you are working. Under US immigration laws, you can resign in USA any time.

Friday, October 9, 2009 - 04:14

Job as petrochem field operater


I am working in petro chemical industries as a field operator 7 and have 15 years experience with computer, operated sap system,dcs pannel operating etc. I am intersted in a job in usa. I am hard working &honest person.I am married for 7 yrs and have two children.


Lawyers should not get involved with finding jobs. That creates an inherent conflict of interest. Nothing we can do about finding you a job. Once you have a job in USA, we can assess the visa processes and advise you and your employer. You can try speaking with the people in the forums for practical guidance. Good luck!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 13:36

Passport Help


My father in law is a US citizen.He went to India in january 2009.There one of his relative register a false case against him and the Punjab police took away his passport from him.Then the case started in the court.His passport is in the hands of police till now.The judge is just giving him can he get his passport back? He is still in India.


I checked with Rajiv.  He said that a passport is ultimately the property of the issuing government.  Punjab police will probably not be able to hold the passport beyond a certain time.  We do not practice laws of India (US only).  They need to discuss this with local counsel.