Options for extending stay in the U.S. after layoff as an international student pursuing a Master's in IT

Question details

I moved to the USA to pursue my Master's in IT. Unfortunately, I have recently been affected by mass layoffs in the tech industry, leaving me with only 30 days to extend my stay in the country to address household responsibilities and potentially secure a full-time job.

I have researched a few options for extending my stay and would greatly appreciate your guidance on these alternatives:

1) Apply for a B2 visa promptly: This option would allow me to remain in the country for an additional six months (until July or August) and continue my job search.

2) Enroll in a community college and obtain an I-20: Many community colleges do not require GRE or TOEFL scores, and their Fall semester usually begins in mid-August. This cost-effective choice would give me time until December, and I could transfer any earned credits to a university if needed.

3) If more time is required, I could join a university in the Spring semester and transfer my community college credits. However, I understand that applying for an MS or PhD program would necessitate a direct application to the university.


Video URL
FAQ Transcript

If you are facing a layoff as an international student pursuing a Master's in IT and seeking to extend your stay in the US, there are several options available. One option is to apply for a B-1/B-2 visa. Please visit Rajiv’s blog at immigration.com for more information.

Another option is to enroll in a community college and obtain an I-20. This can provide you with additional time in the US. If more time is required, you could consider joining a university in the spring semester.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is another option to explore. There is another blog entry specifically discussing CPT, which you should read for more information. Additionally, there is an option to secure a quota exempt job. Our website features frequently asked questions that address quota exempt jobs, so be sure to review them.


Immigration Law