H-4 EAD and H-1B Extensions Rules Change

1. I have completed 6.9 years on L1A and move to H4-EAD based on my wife’s approve I-140. Now H4 EAD may go away. What option do I have to stay here and continue working (even after gap of a few months if needed) or I need to go out of US for at least 1 year and come back?
2. I have already completed my 6.9 years. Can company apply H1B for me in April 2018 and I can come back to US after spending 1 year outside. I believe H1B can be applied only 6 months prior to joining that job. But I can’t start working from Oct 1st as I already completed 7 years without pending GC labor/ I-140. In that case I can apply H1B only in April 2019 and start working from October 2019?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Watch the Video on this FAQ: H-4 EAD rules change and H-1B extensions rules change

Video Transcript

1. What you could try doing is have your green card started and you can use that to extend your H-1. 

2. The problem is you don't have any time left on your H-1 because you have taken 6.9 years of L-1A. I think you can only do this if you start a green card process. More Questions and Answers


Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on immigration.com

Add new comment