H-1B visa and applying for National Interest Exception

Question details

I am presently in the U.S. and will be visiting India to get my H-1B Visa stamped.  As there are travel restrictions for passengers from India to the US, will I be allowed to enter the U.S. on an H-1B visa? Presently I am staying in the U.S. on OPT.


Unless you are covered by an exemption, you will have to apply for a national interest exception. Also, getting appointments for visa stamping is not particularly easy at the moment.



Note: For the NRI readers, The Economic Times has started an immigration helpdesk. A team of experts which includes Rajiv S. Khanna will address the most pressing issues. Please see the link below.


FAQ Transcript

Note: Where transcribed from audio/video, this is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <p> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><style> <drupal-entity data-*>
If you want to be notified of a response to your comment, please provide your email address.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.