Getting unemployment payments on H-1B

I lost my job recently. I was working on H1B. I am staying in the US until my grace period ends or until I find a new job. Can I apply for the Unemployment Insurance in my state? I believe that is paid by the employer.

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Watch the Video on this FAQ: Getting unemployment payments on H-1B

Video Transcript

Getting unemployment payments is not an issue because unemployment is private insurance, not really government funding. The problem is that it does not protect your status so don't think if you are getting unemployment payments you are in status. More...


Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment