How to apply for work authorization after I130 approval?

I found this site so useful for valuable information. I got approval from I 130 and I am in US with F-1 visa. Can I submit I 485 without immigration number? Also Can I request for the work permit on this basis?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

I am glad our site has helped you. You can receive work authorization only when you apply for your I-485 (Adjustment of Status). You can file that only when your priority date is current. Mere I-130 pendency or approval gives you no help unless you are an immediate relative of a US citizen (like spouse or parent).

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment