Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) Traveling to Canada

My wife is in F-1 visa status (cos from H-4) and I am on H-1B (I-140 approved). She needs to travel to Canada for an academic conference and she doesn't have stamping on her passport. Can we apply for visa stamping in Canada?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Watch the Video on this FAQ: Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) traveling to Canada

Video Transcript:

She can apply for visa stamping in Canada. She can just use the H-4, 1-94 and at the airport when they ask her to surrender the I-94 she can tell them that she will be using the same I-94 to come back. Keep a copy of the I-94. If they insist on the surrender you can show them a copy of the I-94. On your way back they should let you on your AVR. More...

Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

Nonimmigrant Visas: 
Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment