US Immigration Questions

Parents staying in or traveling to the U.S. while their green card petition is pending

Question details

Would there be any issues with parents reentering the country after filing for GC application? Say the parents entered the US on a B1/B2 visa but applied for GC while they were visiting (not for the first time). They were going to file for it once they were back in the home country anyway, but decided to submit the application now than at a later date due to some health situation that came up during the visit.

Are there chances of the application being denied/or will the parents not be allowed to reenter the country because there have been some medical emergency that happened during the visit? Should those factors need to be addressed before exiting the country before the 6 months stay time is up? And would it still be a problem if that has been addressed with the provider, given it will all be in the history file now? Would there be some state assistance that anyone can get some help with in terms of financial and patient well-being and all?
 

Video URL
FAQ Transcript

I have known many immediate relatives of the U.S citizens and they have never had a problem. However, theoretically the problem exists. It would be right to do an immigration pre-clearance somewhere close to home.

Regarding your query on medical emergencies, you could tell them that your parents took the medical treatment. As long as there was no government funding I do not see any problem.
 

---------------------------------------
Note: Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments, blog and community calls on immigration.com. Where transcribed from audio/video, a verbatim transcript is provided. Therefore, it may not conform to the written grammatical or syntactical form.

Can an H-1B holder open an LLC in the US and employ their spouse on H-4 EAD?

Question details

Can an H-1 VISA (Resident tax alien without a green card) Holder set up an LLC in the USA? If yes, can his spouse on H-4 VISA with EAD work in that LLC?

Video URL
FAQ Transcript

The problem with H-1Bs is that you cannot be working for any other company including your own. The  smart thing would be to let your wife start her own business. She can manage, run and own the business. You could be a passive owner without any active participation. 
 

---------------------------------------
Note: Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments, blog and community calls on immigration.com. Where transcribed from audio/video, a verbatim transcript is provided. Therefore, it may not conform to the written grammatical or syntactical form.

Can I change my status from B-1/B-2 to H-1B, L-1, F-1?

Question details

I have worked in the U.S. under L-1\H-1B from June-2015 to March-2020. I have been in India since the last 2 and half years (Not working for any US based company). Now I have got Job offer from a US company and the H-1B I-797 petition is approved. I have a previous employer's H-1B Visa stamp (which expired last month) in my current passport, and B1/B2 Visa stamp(got in 2013 and valid till Sep-2023) in my older passport. I also have approved I-140 (EB2) from my previous employer.

My Question is due to the high wait time for Visa appointments, in worst case, if I can not secure a visa appointment anywhere close to joining date, can I travel to the US with a valid B-1/B-2 Visa and approved I-797 and later change status to H-1B and join the job? If yes, would it impact the GC process in future?
 

Video URL
FAQ Transcript

I would strongly recommend against it. I think you would do a lot better trying to get an H-1B Visa stamping in a third country. People are going to places like Singapore, Hong Kong and Maldives. Look around India and you might be able to make an appointment. 
 

---------------------------------------
Note: Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments, blog and community calls on immigration.com. Where transcribed from audio/video, a verbatim transcript is provided. Therefore, it may not conform to the written grammatical or syntactical form.

Can I do two STEM OPTs, one after bachelor's and the other after Master's degree?

Question details

I am in the 1st year of my 2-year STEM OPT after completing Bachelors Degree. Can I do another set of OPT + 2 year STEM OPT if I complete my Masters Degree? Does the Masters also have to be in STEM field to utilize the post Masters OPT+2 year STEM OPT?

Video URL
FAQ Transcript

You can get a STEM OPT extension twice in one academic life cycle. Even if you did a STEM degree  and never used stem opt extension you should be able to reuse it. 

 

---------------------------------------
Note: Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments, blog and community calls on immigration.com. Where transcribed from audio/video, a verbatim transcript is provided. Therefore, it may not conform to the written grammatical or syntactical form.

How can I maintain my H-1B while working outside the USA?

Question details

I would  highly appreciate it if you could share any insights for my case. I hold H-1B working for MNC in Seattle, USA. I applied for Canada PR and it was confirmed. I will travel by car to Vancouver Canada and work in Canada remotely with a Canadian house address. At the same time I want to maintain my H1B visa. Is that possible and how? I got to know H1B is valid as long as we work on US soil. 

Video URL
FAQ Transcript

Sure, but maintaining an H-1B simply means that your H-1B is not destroyed just because you are not working here all the time. Also remember that you can recapture the time spent outside.
For more on this topic please visit my author page.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/etreporter/author-rajiv-khanna-479254772.cms
 

---------------------------------------
Note: Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments, blog and community calls on immigration.com. Where transcribed from audio/video, a verbatim transcript is provided. Therefore, it may not conform to the written grammatical or syntactical form.

Options if employment-based I-485 is denied?

Question details

1. My I-485 was filed in August 2022. Priority Date: 2014. Lost a job. H-1B withdrawn and offer is canceled. Current H-1B remaining till January 2023. If I-485 is denied do I have to leave the country? Can I work for the remaining 5 months?

2. After retrogression, can I transfer H-1B?
 

Video URL
FAQ Transcript

1. You can finish your H-1B term.
2. I don't see why not.
 

---------------------------------------
Note: Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments, blog and community calls on immigration.com. Where transcribed from audio/video, a verbatim transcript is provided. Therefore, it may not conform to the written grammatical or syntactical form.

Parents who are GC holders, applied for reentry permits, left USA; do they need to return to the USA or can they wait till I-131 is processed?

Question details

My parents who are green card holders applied for the i-131 travel document in Sept 2021. They finished their biometrics in Oct 2021 and left the USA on Nov,14th 2021.
There has not been an update to the case after the biometrics. Do they need to return to the US by Nov 14th, 2022? Or can they wait till the I-131 application is processed before returning to the US?
 

Video URL
FAQ Transcript

If they can come back before November I think that would be a good idea just to be safe.There is no guarantee that the reentry permit will be approved, although it is very rare for reentry permits to be denied at least for the first two years.

---------------------------------------
Note: Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments, blog and community calls on immigration.com. Where transcribed from audio/video, a verbatim transcript is provided. Therefore, it may not conform to the written grammatical or syntactical form.

STEM extension expiring, options to stay in USA, Is Day 1 CPT safe and legal?

Question details

I am currently on STEM Extension and my visa expires in July 2023. I also have a masters degree here in the states. I wanted to know what my options are..
If the suggestion is Day-1 CPT, I wanted to know how safe/legit it is! I have heard that going on Day-1 CPT can cause some issues when your H1 gets picked and may lead to RFE?
 

Video URL
FAQ Transcript

It is legal and so far it has been safe. You know that the rule for Day 1 CPT requires that when you join, you are associating with a graduate program otherwise you cannot get a Day 1 CPT. The Curricular Practical Training is an integral part of your degree. You cannot finish the degree without the practical training. The other thing is the employer signs the cooperative agreement with the university. The only additional suggestion I have is if you are going to do Curricular Practical Training make it as an adjunct to your profession.

For more information please check my blog.
https://immigration.com/blogs/curricular-practical-training-cpt
 

---------------------------------------
Note: Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments, blog and community calls on immigration.com. Where transcribed from audio/video, a verbatim transcript is provided. Therefore, it may not conform to the written grammatical or syntactical form.

Concerns and issues while parents are traveling to India with Advance Parole while waiting for the Green Card

Question details

I am a U.S. citizen and I had applied for a green card for my parents and they were in the USA and now they have received their Advance Parole.

1. When our parents have Advance Parole, is there any special process to leave the U.S.?

2. Do we need to inform the airline staff during their check in process?

3. Even though Advance Parole documents specify that parole is valid for one year, is there any advisable timeline they could stay in India on Advance Parole?

4. What is the process for entering the USA on Advance Parole besides showing their parole documents to the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) officer at the airport?

5. Any instructions or guidelines for using Advance Parole?

6. What if their Green card gets approved while they are in India?

1. The answer is No.

Entry into the U.S. using the Advance Parole after green card approval during a trip abroad

Question details

Background: Applied I-485 application under EB3 after downgrade from EB2 in 2020. Refiled another I- 485 application under EB2 in 2021. Received EAD/ AP combo card from EB3 application in Jan 2022. Used it to travel out of country in July 2022. Green card approved in EB2 category while out of country. Entered USA using the Advance Parole from EB3 in August 2022 as the green card was in mailbox in USA. At Port of Entry, I informed them about the approval of I-485. However, they paroled me in for 1 year until August 2023 and stamped Advance pare in my passport. I collected my physical card from the mailbox after reaching my home.

Question

What is my status now- Green card or Advance parole?  Any impact on my green card status with that AP stamp as I used AP from EB3 after approval of green card from EB2?  I did not receive any notice form USCIS about withdrawing EB3 application after they granted green card under EB2. Should I ask USCIS to cancel the EB3 application or assume that it is automatically canceled by USCIS?

 

Video URL
FAQ Transcript

You can contact the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and go to one of their offices which is usually at the airport. They are called Deferred Inspection. As a green card holder, they might be able to change your I-94 or your admission to a green card holder. I would also like you to double check first with the CBP and then with the congressman.