TN Visa

Job titles approved for TN classification

Question details

Would an engineer with the job title of sales engineer or engineering manager be approved for TN classification if the job duties will require the application of engineering principles in support and promotion of technical products?

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that, due to the fact that Sales Engineer or engineering manager is not among the professions listed in Appendix 1603.D.1, such an individual would not be approved for the TN classification.

Procedure to seek supervisory review for a citizen of Mexico

Question details

For a CBP port of entry, what is the procedure available to seek supervisory review of an officer’s refusal to admit a citizen of Mexico to the U.S. for the period of offered employment up to three years?

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that, in instances in which an officer refuses to admit a TN applicant for the period of employment up to three years, the applicant can ask to speak to the Supervisory CBP Officer who is assigned to the area in which the inspection took place. If this does not occur, an inquiry with the Special Cases Office could be initiated in order to have the admission reviewed.

Mexican citizen with valid TN visa confirming employment period

Question details

Assuming that the Mexican citizen holds a passport that is valid for at least three years and that the alien is otherwise admissible, isn't it true that an employer’s letter or statement confirming that the employer intends to employ the alien for a temporary period of up to three years is sufficient to support admission for the requested period of time.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that this is true. A Mexican citizen TN nonimmigrant applicant for admission whose passport is valid for the requested admission period, and who is in possession of an employment letter confirming the employment period of up to 3 years, should be admitted for a 3-year admission period.

Mexican citizen with a valid TN visa

Question details

Isn't it true that a Mexican citizen with a valid TN visa may be admitted to the United States in TN status for up to three years, provided that the individual’s passport will remain valid throughout this period and the individual is otherwise admissible?

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that a Mexican citizen with a valid TN visa, if otherwise admissible, may be admitted as a TN for up to three years, if applicable, provided that the applicant’s passport remains valid during the duration of that period of time.

Applying for TD visa for wife of TN Visa Holder

Question details

I am a Canadian citizen and recently started working in USA with a TN visa. I am planning to get married soon but wife is not from Canada, she is from Bangladesh, Can I apply for a TD visa for wife and how long is the process? Is it possible to bring wife with me after marriage? Also, Is it also possible to sponsor wife to become permanent resident of Canada while I am on TN status visa?

She has to get a TD visa through a US consulate (either Bangladesh or Canada is ok). It should be a relatively short process -- from same-day to a few weeks, depending upon what the consulate needs. We do not practice Canadian law, so I do not know what you can do on the Canadian side, but US immigration laws have no problem with you applying for her Canadian immigration while on TN/TD.

USCIS Announces New Filing Option For Canadian TN Visa Seekers

  • Canadian TN Nonimmigrants

    On Oct. 1, 2012, USCIS will begin accepting the Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, filed on behalf of Canadian citizens who are outside the United States and seeking classification as a TN nonimmigrant.

    With respect to the TN classification, USCIS currently only accepts Form I-129 in connection with a request to extend a TN nonimmigrant’s stay or to change a nonimmigrant’s status to TN.

Guestbook Entry for Muhammed Nadeem, Canada

Muhammed Nadeem

Mr. Khanna and his staff is fabulous and extremely accountable! I recently had one on one conference call with Mr. Khanna and his assistant Rena and I was so much impressed with Mr. Khanna professonalism and knowledge. If I have to recommend any lawyer in future to any person; Mr. Khanna and his staff will be my first choice.  God Bless Mr. Khanna and Team! Muhammed Nadeem Ibrahim

Canadian with J-2 visa

Question details

I am a Canadian with J2 visa. I am an engineer and want to work in US to keep up with my career. I am going to apply for EAD. If I don't get, can I switch from J2 to TN. Can my kids still stay on J2?

You can switch back to TN from J-2. What you do has no effect on the children. They derive their status directly from your J-1 spouse.