Change of Status

The term Change of Status (COS) is the name given to the process through which a person can change from one temporary status (nonimmigrant) to another temporary status without having to leave the United States. Typical examples of this process are changing from a student visa status to H-1B. Usually, a successful COS is evidenced by the USCIS issuing you a new I-94.

Changing status from a temporary visa to a green card within the United States is also a change of status, but it is technically referred to as Adjustment of Status (AOS). 

Specific Issues in Change of Status

  1. Certain categories of nonimmigrant visas are not allowed to change status (J-1 with HRR to another status).
  2. Change of status must be timely filed.  That is, the USCIS must receive a complete application before the current status expires. Otherwise, you run the serious risk of accruing unlawful presence.
  3. While a COS is pending, another COS may not be allowed.
  5. (I am still working on it)

Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <p> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><style> <drupal-entity data-*>
If you want to be notified of a response to your comment, please provide your email address.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.