State Dept. Announces Blanket L Visa Processing Moves To The US Consulate General In Chennai

Blanket L Visa processing to move to the U.S. Consulate General in Chennai on December 1, 2011.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai will become the sole acceptance center in India for all applications for intra-company transfers under the blanket L category as of December 1, 2011.  The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi and U.S. Consulates in Mumbai, Kolkata and Hyderabad will no longer accept or process applications for this visa category.  The blanket L category includes specialized knowledge professionals, executives and managers.

All other visa processing procedures remain unchanged.

Please note that spouse and children visas (L2) and individual L visas (L1B and L1A individuals) may be processed at all posts in India—Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, and New Delhi.

Please note that this is strictly an administrative change.  It is not a change in the law or policy of visas for Indian companies.


H and L visas require approved petitions from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security before a visa interview can be scheduled. 

Specialized Workers (H1-B, H-4)
H visas are designed for skilled temporary workers in a specialty occupation to fill vacancies in the United States.  Applicants must possess a relevant four-year college degree or equivalent work experience to qualify. Spouses and children on H-4 visas may not work in the U.S.

In some circumstances, applicants may request a "B1 in Lieu of H" visa, which allows H-1B work on a B1 or B1/B2 visa. Click here for more information.

Intra-Company Transfers (L-1, L-2)
L visas are for intra-company transferees who, within the three preceding years, have been employed abroad continuously for one year, and who will be employed by a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of that same employer in the U.S.

Workers can be petitioned individually or under a blanket petition, and must qualify as either a specialized knowledge professional or an executive/manager. 

L-2 visa holders may work in the U.S. but must have employment authorization from the Department of Homeland Security.

How to Apply
H and L applicants follow the nonimmigrant visa application process

Please bring copies of your Form I-797 Notice of Action and your I-129 petition to the interview.   Blanket L applicants bring 3 copies of the I-129 for stamping.

Apply Early!  Although the vast majority of visas are delivered in a week or less, some applications require administrative processing.  Please do not make travel arrangements until you have received your visa.

Science and technology applicants may require administrative processing.  In some cases, administrative processing can take up to 5 or 6 weeks, although it is often faster. Bring supporting documents to minimize the processing time.

Complete fee information is available here.  Please note: Blanket L-1 applicants must pay an additional anti-fraud fee.


Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <p> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><style> <drupal-entity data-*>