I am on H-1B Visa, got my I-140 approved in EB-2 Category and waiting for the dates to get current. Based on Executive Action, shall I be given any EAD ? Or at least any other forms so that I can travel and need not go for Visa Stamping and all the additional paper work.
I have heard that there is a proposal to allow filing of
I am working on H-1B. This week, I got my I-140 petition approved that was filed in EB2. I am Indian citizen born in India. My marriage is scheduled to happen in Jan, 2015. The girl is citizen of India and was born in Nepal. I have heard that after marriage, I would be eligible to file I-485 for both myself and my (then) wife, based on cross-chargeability rules.
1: Is my eligibility to file I-485 (based on the birth country of wife) and its approval thereafter dependent on discretion of USCIS? If yes, does USCIS generally approve or deny such I-485 petitions filed on the basis of cross chargeability rules?
2: Is there any reason due to which my wife and I would be denied from filing I-485 and there-after getting an approval of I-485 (leaving aside fraud matters)?
3: My fiancée is yet to get her passport made in India. I found that my fiancée does not have her birth certificate from Nepal. Is a birth certificate the only way to prove location of birth? If she gets her birth certificate made now, Does the USCIS create issues about a birth certificate made so many years after birth?
4: In my scenario (EB2 petition, primary applicant India born, wife Nepal born Indian citizen), How long (approximately) after filing I-485 would it take to get the green card?
See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMQ79pgzX8 FAQ Transcript
Currently my I-140 is approved and now for the I-485 I need to present date of birth certificate. Problem is that DOB on certificate is correct and on all other documents including school, college, and passport and in all US records it is in correct. It started with wrong DOB in 10th certificate which was used in college, passport and finally all US documents. Now I went through all the channels and found the ways to change in passport and in all US documents. Question is what legal problems I should be prepared for and how it impacts my US records once it is changed. I am in US for last 7 years. I need to take decision on this as if it is worth doing it or just go back to India and may be forget about GC for this time. Really appreciate you taking out time for this kind of questions. Really appreciate you taking out time for this kind of questions.Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on immigration.com
Hello Rajiv Ji, Thanks for your time and responses (over the email). I have below questions. 1) I am an EB-2, with Priority date Jun-2008. Applied i-485 in Jan-2012. Cut-off date became current in July-2014. Through congressperson / infopass found that my application is in background checks. 1.a) I have given fingerprints 2.5 years ago and background checks are not cleared yet. so what are my options in expediting it? 1.b) My worry is the checks may not be cleared before next time dates become current, and I may be in the same situation again. 1.b) Can I use Writ of Mandamus? Does my case (485 pending for 2.5 years, current for 2.5 months, but background checks are not completed yet) have enough reasons to claim "unreasonable delay"? 2) I am using my EAD. My labor says "Senior Analyst" as my job title. 2.a) Can I accept a promotion with a director/managerial job title ? 2.b) or does it cause a problem / RFE in future? Duties are more or less similar and work on same software technology, but will have few direct reports and need to manage projects. 3) Can I switch to H1-B as a safe measure? 3.a) Does switching mean I am abandoning my GC? 3.b) Do I need to go out of the country for stamping or can I continue to work without going out? 3.b) what are the risks involved?
See the marked clip below from Rajiv's video recording for the answer to this question.
What happens if I travel without visa or advance parole while my I-485 is pending? I want to go to India.
That would lead to abandonment (sort of like cancellation of I-485). You will have to enter USA under some legal status (like H-4/H-1/L-2/L-1) and then file I-485 again when the priority dates becomes current.
We represented a client and her minor child. They had filed their I-485 applications as derivative applicants. Two months after the I-485 filing, the primary applicant, her husband died in a tragic accident. USCIS requested biometrics for all applicants, but she did not appear because she was informed that her I-485 application would not survive the death of the primary applicant. We filed a motion to reopen the case, showing that the applicant was and is legally entitled to survivor benefits under the Immigration and Nationality Act.
The Employment-Based I-485 Inventory pending at the Service Centers and Field Offices has been updated as of 4/1/ 2014.
I-485 Pending Inventory has been updated for the month of January 2014.
We have received a particularly remarkable green card approval a few weeks ago. USCIS alleged fraud and denied the green card where the spouse of a US citizen had entered the US on visa waiver and then applied for Adjustment of Status (AOS) within a few days after entry. We were retained once the green card had been denied. The allegations of fraud or misrepresentation are particularly troublesome because they operate as a PERMANENT bar against immigration. There is a narrowly tailored waiver available, but it can be difficult to obtain.