Returning to US from India, after a gap of 3 years

My mother is a green card holder (based on me as an US citizen) and has been living in India for last 3 years as she was working in India and just got retired. She is planning to return to US permanently now. We did not know reentry permit requirements before. Does she need to apply for Returning Resident Visa? If it affects adversely what are other common reasons that can be given as an excuse for long outside US stay?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

She should apply for RR (also known as SB-1) visa. Lose the idea of an "excuse." Nothing but the truth. My GUESS is, you are better off surrendering her green card and reapplying.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment