H Visa FAQs


Authored on: Mon, 11/24/2014 - 00:00


I am working on H-1B. This week, I got my I-140 petition approved that was filed in EB2. I am Indian citizen born in India. My marriage is scheduled to happen in Jan, 2015. The girl is citizen of India and was born in Nepal. I have heard that after marriage, I would be eligible to file I-485 for both myself and my (then) wife, based on cross-chargeability rules. <br>
1: Is my eligibility to file I-485 (based on the birth country of wife) and its approval thereafter dependent on discretion of USCIS? If yes, does USCIS generally approve or deny such I-485 petitions filed on the basis of cross chargeability rules? <br>
2: Is there any reason due to which my wife and I would be denied from filing I-485 and there-after getting an approval of I-485 (leaving aside fraud matters)? <br>
3: My fiancée is yet to get her passport made in India. I found that my fiancée does not have her birth certificate from Nepal. Is a birth certificate the only way to prove location of birth? If she gets her birth certificate made now, Does the USCIS create issues about a birth certificate made so many years after birth? <br>
4: In my scenario (EB2 petition, primary applicant India born, wife Nepal born Indian citizen), How long (approximately) after filing I-485 would it take to get the green card?


See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question. 

FAQ Transcript

Here is the situation. What is Cross-Chargeability? Let me explain. Normally when we do analysis which country quota do you belong to for your employment based Green Cards we go by your country of birth. If you are born in India and you are citizen of Japan, you are still going to be charge to India not Japan. If however, your wife is born in third country in Japan you are born in India but your wife is born in Japan, you can be charge to Japan that is called Cross Charge-ability. That is very useful thing to have, because all of sudden from a heavily backed up country you go to country where dates are current. 
So the problem is she is born in Nepal but does not have the birth certificate. Before I go to the birth certificate question, let me go one by one. First is, does USCIS have discretion to deny such cases? Or do they have to give me the Cross charge-ability? The answer is they have to give the cross chargeability. This is not the question of discretion; they are not doing any favors. Once you meet the requirements and you can prove it you are entitled to your cross charge-ability. You cannot be denied your I-485 for this reason.
Now, she does not have the birth certificate from Nepal. Birth certificate is the only way to prove the location of birth, it gets tricky. In normal circumstances if you don't have a birth certificate what you will do is you will get a certificate of non availability from the village Panchayat or Municipal corporation where she is born saying that her birth is never recorded. Then you will get two affidavits from people like her parents, who say that we know that she is born on this date, this place. In areas of cross charge-ability USCIS may require further evidence. It can be any evidence about where she lived in Nepal, things like that but if you try to register her birth now that's not going to happen.
So if you do go through the cross charge-ability and your dates are “current” typically your Green Card should be done within a year.

Withdrawal of Application for Admission at the Airport Under INA 212(a) (7)(A) (i)(I) & 235(b)(1)

Authored on: Fri, 11/14/2014 - 07:08


Iam a Indian National Married to A US PR holder She has cleared her N400 Interview .I have been last year Denied Admission (deported) from Airport after me being initially on Student (F-1) Visa & then on H1B (61/2 years previously) with Citations : 212(a) (7)(A) (i)(I) & 235(b) (1) .
The questions I have for you are :
Q) Do I have any 3 yr, 5 Yr or 10 yr ban on my entrance to USA ?
Q) Do I need any waiver like I-212 or anything else for my future entry to USA ?
My I-130 had been approved and I believe I can upgrade my I-130 by my Spouse sending her Naturalization Certificate & her passport copy to NVC(Kentucky)
Q) Do you think I might have difficulties while facing this changed IR-1 Category Visa Interview and any other problems at the Port of Entry ?
Q) What timeframe does NVC take to notify the Consulate & Can it be Hyderabad, India ? & Overall how much time will it take for me to get the Visa or the Conditional Green Card


Video URL

Discrepancies In Date Of Birth Information

Authored on: Tue, 11/11/2014 - 09:30


Currently my I-140 is approved and now for the I-485 I need to present date of birth certificate. Problem is that DOB on certificate is correct and on all other documents including school, college, and passport and in all US records it is in correct. It started with wrong DOB in 10th certificate which was used in college, passport and finally all US documents. Now I went through all the channels and found the ways to change in passport and in all US documents. Question is what legal problems I should be prepared for and how it impacts my US records once it is changed. I am in US for last 7 years. I need to take decision on this as if it is worth doing it or just go back to India and may be forget about GC for this time. Really appreciate you taking out time for this kind of questions.
Really appreciate you taking out time for this kind of questions.


FAQ: Discrepancies In Date Of Birth Information

FAQ Transcript

First of all you don't need to leave USA and go away and the question regarding should I forget about Green Card?

No, not at all. What you do is when you file I-140/I-485 make sure you mention your correct date of birth. Try to get your documents corrected, if you cannot get corrected have your lawyers file affidavit explaining what happened. But always go with correct date of birth.

Have we done this in the past? Yes we have. Have we had the problems? Little bit. 

We have to make sure that government understands it what the reason is and that we are just not being cute and trying to take advantage in some ways by creating the false identification. As long as government is convinced about that I usually see no further problems. So just don't give up, there should be detailed explanation, we should make attempt to make sure that you have corrected all the information about your date of birth on your passport, your school certificate. Whatever you can correct it, whatever you cannot correct document it. 

So, yes you do need your correct date of birth and because the documents for immigration in the United States are all filed under the Penalty of Perjury, your information must be correct.

Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

H-1B Visa stamping in general and in third countries like Canada

Authored on: Mon, 11/10/2014 - 18:12


My H1B petition got approved through my existing employer and became effective 10/01/14 (I was on F1 OPT before). Where am I eligible to go to for doing first time H1B stamping, other than my home country (Russia) – can it be done in Canada, Mexico, or other countries? I have Masters from an American university, and over a year of working experience in the US. Also I’ve heard that starting June Canada has suspended doing first time H1B stamping, can you please provide any clarification, and also could you please advise what all options are available to me?


Volunteer work on H-4 visa

Authored on: Thu, 10/02/2014 - 14:02


Hello Sir,
I am H4 visa holder and want to blog for hobby. If I get any money from blogging due to advertisements or page hits, I want to take all of that money and donate it to charitable organization. I want to know is this legal while in H4 status and if so I want to know the correct procedure to do what I have mentioned, so that I am still following the rules for the H4 visa.


See clip from video recording by Rajiv for the answer to this question regarding volunteer work on H-4 visa status.


Concurrent H-1B for Part Time Job

Authored on: Mon, 09/29/2014 - 07:54


I am working for company X as a full time employee on H-1B visa. They have filed my green card and my I-140 has been improved. Company Y to hire me as a part time on W2 but I need to work as and when required. So sometime I have to work 20-3- hours in a week and sometime, I will not have work for months. I can work from home too during off hours. Company Y is going to file concurrent H-1B. I have few questions regarding my visa:
1) Will it affect my current full time H-1B with Company X<br>

2) Will it affect my green card process<br>

3) Is it ok if I don't work for months for company Y without affecting Company Y's H-1B<br>

4) If I get new I-94 through company Y, will it affect my current status?<br>

5) Will company X know about H-1B filed by Company Y?


This is not likely to work. Filing a concurrent H-1 is perfectly acceptable in this case and it does not affect your green card process, nor your current H-1. I dont know of any way an H-1 can be approved for an intermittent employment.

Do Not Have Copy of I-140 Approval Notice But Have Receipt

Authored on: Mon, 09/29/2014 - 07:35


I have my I-140 approved(in my 6th year of H-1). But my employer is not handing the approval notice to me. I have both Receipt Number and my Labor number (starting with A.). I have filed FOIA to get copy of I-140 approval notice. I wanted to know
1) Can I transfer my H-1 to another employer by just giving I-140 receipt number to them?
2) Can my new employer use this number to file my GC and keeping the PD based on this number?


As long as your I-140 is not revoked BEFORE approval of H-1 extension/transfer, the receipt should be enough to get an extension with another employer. The priority date transfer is "automatic" and done at the USCIS level; that should not even need a receipt.

LCA for Singapore H-1B1

Authored on: Tue, 09/23/2014 - 07:04


Do we need to send an LCA for H-1B1 Singapore quota?


Yes, you do. E-3 visas for Australia and H-1B1 for Singapore and Chile, all require an LCA.

Yes, you do. E-3 visas for Australia and H-1B1 for Singapore and Chile, all require an LCA. - See more at: http://www.immigration.com/comment/14777#comment-14777

H-4 Visa Holder Applying for Canada PR

Authored on: Thu, 08/28/2014 - 06:39


As a H-4 visa holder in the USA (my husband is on H-1B), and an Indian citizen, I plan on applying for Canadian PR via the federal skilled worker program, to eventually start working there. The question I have is if my PR does come through within a year, will my H-4 visa in the USA get affected or be void immediately? Provided I don't get a job in Canada by then, how long will my H-4 be valid after I get my PR in Canada? Can I choose to live in either country in that case?
Also, while applying for the PR, they asked for sufficient funds. Since I am a H-4 dependent, can I show my husband's funds and income as a source? Because I am not earning here, I will have to have his money transferred. Will that be a problem?


Your H-4 visa does not get affected by PR in Canada, and whether or not you stay in the USA or Canada. The visa stays valid through the date of its stamping, as long as your husband is maintaining status. US immigration laws also should not create any issues with a funds transfer, but check Canadian laws and US Tax Laws.

Your H-4 visa does not get affected by PR in Canada, and whether or not you stay in the USA or Canada. The visa stays valid through the date of its stamping, as long as your husband is maintaining status. US immigration laws also should not create any issues with a funds transfer, but check Canadian laws and US Tax Laws. - See more at: http://www.immigration.com/comment/14325#comment-14325

H-4 visa employment

Authored on: Wed, 07/23/2014 - 04:45


When do you think the H-4 regulations giving EAD will become in operation? Will they be changed or will they remain the same?


Timing is impossible to predict. It could be as early as September or so, or as late as the government wants it to be. Also, government CAN and often does change or modify regulations after comments from the public are reviewed.