SSN for Non-working Purposes

I am on H-1B visa and my wife just received her H-4B. She is not allowed to get SSN as this is only for people who allowed to work. I need to get her TIN (TAX Identification Number) but not sure where to start as I have been told she needs TIN for Driver licensing and open Bank account.

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

You contact IRS for tax identification. Also, SSN can be given for non-work purposes if the law requires you to provide a non-work Social Security number to get a federal benefit or state general assistance benefit that you are otherwise qualified for.

See this info TIN:

This for SSN: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment