Last Name Change for H-4 Visa

My passport is getting expired shortly and I need to renew it as my visa has the maiden name. I wish to change the last name in visa. What is the procedure to change the last name?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

As far as I know, you will have to apply for a visa again. To change the name on a U.S. visa that has already been issued requires a new application. But if you carry your old passport (which has the old visa), with the new passport and your marriage certificate, you should be allowed entry. I think you should reapply on the new passport. 

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment