Options for H-1 extension

I already completed 6 years of H-1, approved I-140. if I get laid off and change my status to H-4 can I change my status to H-1 after 1 year and still use my previous priority date and in that situation will I get H-1 approval for 3years? If I decide to pursue my further studies and change my status to F-1, and after my graduation or during my study, if I find a new employer can I get h1 approval with my old I-140 since I already completed 6years of H-1 and didn't leave country physically for 1 year. Will it be an issue?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

In order for you to reset the 6-year clock on H-1, you have to be physically outside USA for one year. You can, however, get H-1 extensions continually for any employer if your I-140 is not revoked by the old employer or by USCIS.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on immigration.com

Add new comment