Marriage in India or in US

I am in US on a H1B and I am having my wedding in India (with a US citizen) in the last week of Dec. I have to go for my stamping when I am in India. Since there is a lot of apprehensions about H1B stamping these days, could you please suggest what is the best way to go here. Would doing a court wedding in US before I go to India(and showing my marital status as married with US citizen)help in anyway - for getting H1B or for GC processing (if I have to do it from India in the worst case)? If my H1B gets rejected, can I go for H1B stamping using the approval notice from another company?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Having a US citizen spouse should neither hurt nor help your H-1 visa app. H-1B rejection does not mean you cannot apply for H-1 through another company.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment