Maintaining H-1B Status While Changing Employers

I am working for my employer in H-1B status, but another company has offered me a better position. Can I just transfer to the new company with my H-1B approval?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

When an H-1B foreign worker would like to change employers and continue to maintain his or her current H-1B status, an I-129 petition must be submitted to USCIS by the new employer or its representative. The forms in this case will be treated as a new petition and will require the appropriate filing fees.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment