Need information

I entered USA on F1 visa with my married name. As i got divorced a week before flying to USA wasn't able to change the last name. Now i am graduating soon and wish to obtain certificate in my maiden name. So i got my last name changed in passport from Indian Consulate San Francisco. But in my new passport there is no visa. So what should i do? The consulate and my school says that whenever i go back home i need to get a new visa. So is that true? Will there be any problem in going back India for summer vacation and getting a visa again? Is it possible to get visa here?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Generally speaking, getting a new visa endorsement should not be a problem. You cannot get a visa within USA.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment