H1B Restamping

My visa is valid till Sept,2011. I recently changed employers;have received my approved I-797 from the new employer.Iam planning to travel to India in May,2010. Do I need to go for re-stamping? Shouldn't the employer name on my visa and my I-797 be the same? If not,then what all documents should I be carrying with me to show to the Immi officer at the Port of Entry? Should the employer name on the visa match the employer name in my I-797? My visa is valid till Sept,2011. I recently changed jobs and my I-797 from the new employer has the new employer's name;however my visa has the old employers name.

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Generally speaking, if you have never been out of status, you can travel out of USA and back without changing the visa stamp on an unexpired H-1 visa, even though you have changed employers through a valid H-1 transfer while you were in USA.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on immigration.com

Add new comment