Form N-470

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

The law says:

1. Generally, you must have been physically present and residing in the United States for an uninterrupted period, without any absences, for at least one year after your admission as a lawful permanent resident before you can file Form N-470.

2. You do not have to be in the United States to file Form N-470, but you must file it before you have been absent from the United States for a continuous period of one year.


Religious Workers Exception to the One Year Absence Requirement

Religious workers may apply:

1. Before departing from the United States;

2. After departing from the United States; or

3. After returning to the United States.

Religious workers are not required to have lived in the United States for a specific period of time prior to filing Form N-470.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment