Regarding H-1B Extensions

I heard your community conference call for 1st December, you mentioned that even though the approved I-140 is withdrawn by a previous employer after 180 days of approval we should still eligible for H1 extensions with a new employer. My question here: is it required that new employer need to file labor and I-140 in order to apply for extensions or can I just keep on applying for H1B extensions based on my first I-140 approval?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

You can keep applying for H-1B extensions based upon a valid I-140 approval from an old employer. The new employer does not have to file. But if you want to get a green card, some employer will have to restart the process.

Nonimmigrant Visas: 
Green Card: 
Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment