Changing employers - what immigration documents should I keep

Currently on my H-1B post 6-year based on approval of PERM and I 140 under EB - 2. Would be In the process of switching jobs for some personal / professional reasons very soon.
1) What documents would I need to have with myself - corresponding to PERM and I-140 - so that I can retain my priority date and start another green card process with a potential new employer ?
2) For the documents above - would I need to have the originals or the photocopies ?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question.

FAQ Transcript:

I think it is always a smart idea to have a complete copy of your file so that you know what has been filed on your behalf. If you can’t do that at the very least have copies of all your approval notices and at least a copy of your labor certification if you have filed the PERM. Copy of H-1 approval, copy of I-140 approval and copy of your PERM. That is what I would recommend.

Nonimmigrant Visas: 
Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment