Petition for mother

I am a US citizen and I want to petition my mother for Permanent residency using the I-130 form. She is currently in the USA illegally. Does she have to go back to her home country while I petition for her? Will she be deported if she stays here? I would like information about what to do with my case. Is there a fine that I have to pay because she has been here illegally since 1989?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

As far as I know, if she entered USA legally, you should be able to get her green card. But I always advise people in this situation to get a local lawyer.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment