Fastest Method of Getting Spouse of a Green Card into the USA and Reducing Wait

I am a US permanent residence (Green card holder) working in the US. I have received my Re-entry permit which will expire in Feb 2019. I have plans to get married to a bride from India and I will be visiting India shortly. I know that to process Family based second category GC (F2A) for my wife in India can take a minimum of 2 years and I will be separated from my wife during this time. Here is my plan to live together (with my wife from Day 1 in the USA) after getting married in India. After my marriage, ask my wife to apply for a tourist visa and I will send the sponsorship letter required by US consulate. Do you see any challenges in my wife's tourist visa application getting approved if my wife states that she is visiting the USA to see her husband if the Visa officer asks any question?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Watch the Video on this FAQ: Fastest method of getting spouse of a green card into the USA and reducing wait

Video Transcript

Normally if your husband is living in the United States, the consulate is not very easy going about giving visas because they suspect that once you enter your husband will apply for your green card. Hence getting a tourist visa itself is definitely questionable. Second is when you apply for a tourist visa any representations you make must be absolutely and meticulously truthful. You cannot make things up. Hence tourist visa is by no means guaranteed but certain visas like H-1, L-1, O-1 don't really care whether you have family living in the USA. So if she qualifies you could look at something like that. More...

Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment