Continuing Employment-Based Green Card While Moving Outside the USA

I am exploring an option to move to Canada temporarily in order to save my Canadian PR. My PD date is March 2012 and have an approved I140. Currently my H1B extension based on approved I140 is in process and hopefully it shall come soon and will be good till Feb 2022. Plan is to move to Canada after H1B approval and H1B visa stamping from India.
1. If Priority date becomes current during my stay in Canada then what are my options.
2. If Priority date does not become current and I tried to enter US after staying for more than year outside US. Two situation could occur H1B extension (I797) is still valid (before Feb 2022). Will I be challenged at port of entry whether i am going to perform the same duties as mentioned in I-129.
3. To convince them on job responsibilities will the letter from employer be sufficient Or need something else?
4. Recent pay stubs shall also be helpful to prove my continue employment with my same employer ? 5. H-1B extension (I-797) is expired (after Feb 2022) OR because of some reason I have to file new H-1B extension to enter Can i use my approved I-140 to file new H-1B extension(or claim the H-1B period) and that will be cap exempt ? OR I have to file new H-1B petition and re-enter the lottery.

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Watch the Video on this FAQ:

Continuing employment-based green card

while moving outside the USA


Video Transcript

1. One is to go through the consular processing in Canada or second is to get an H-1B status approved. Since you are not subject to the quota for six years after approval you can come back on H-1B and file AOS.

2. An old H-1B certainly becomes a red flag issue for the CBP. It is definitely common for them to be concerned about this sort of a situation.

3. That depends if the job is in - house for eg: the company is a product development company and they intend to hire you in - house then a letter from the company should be good enough.

4. Pay stubs are not necessary, but if you are working for this employer from outside the United States you can certainly present pay stubs to prove that you were working for this employer. That is not directly relevant but it does show an ongoing relationship.

5. Definitely. You don't have to reenter the lottery for six years after the last H-1B approval. More...



Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment