Employee is outside The US. How to continue a green card through consular processing?

Question details

I have a valid I-140 from my old employer and have not ported it to my current employer. Currently, I am not staying in the US, and my dates have become current.
I have below clarifications:
Can we file for Consular processing GC from abroad through my previous employer if they are open to hiring me back. At the same time I don't want to impact my current job as the old employer does not have their presence outside the US.  As per my knowledge, I cannot file GC through CP; however, if I move back to the US will I be able to file I-485 without joining my old employer?

Video URL

FAQ Transcript

The answer is yes on both counts. The law does not require you to hold the green card job presently. Talk to your lawyers about it and make sure everything else is in order. However, if someone is outside the U.S. he or she can continue to process his or her green card.

Note: Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments, blog and community calls on immigration.com. Where transcribed from audio/video, a verbatim transcript is provided. Therefore, it may not conform to the written grammatical or syntactical form.

Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <p> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><style> <drupal-entity data-*>
If you want to be notified of a response to your comment, please provide your email address.