Re-entry with B-1 Visa

I am a UK resident and currently have a B1 visa with 7 years to run. When I enter the US via LAX they always stamp my passport and issue the I-94 card for 12 months. We always leave before the date given. Question - do we have to go back to the UK (our country of origin) or could we go to Canada for a week and then re-enter the US?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

You can go to a third country, but your entry back into USA can be declined if CBP believes you are spending more time in USA than you should. Typically, B visas are for brief visits (may be six months or less in a 12-24 month period).

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment