Frequently Asked Questions - Canada

Is it legal to do business in home country while working in USA on a visa?
Canadian RN Planning to Migrate To US Through EB-3

There can be no RN green card without an employment in the USA and clearing of the required exams/licenses in the USA. As to EB-2, that would depend upon whether or not the job requires 5 years of experience after Bachelor;'s degree (or a Master's degree).

Traveling on a TN or L-1 Visa From Canada?

1. The TN nonimmigrant classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level. The L-1 nonimmigrant classification - Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager – enables a U.S. employer to transfer an executive or manager from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States.  This classification also enables a foreign company that does not yet have an affiliated U.S. office to send an executive or manager to the U.S.

H-4 Visa Holder Applying for Canada PR

Your H-4 visa does not get affected by PR in Canada, and whether or not you stay in the USA or Canada. The visa stays valid through the date of its stamping, as long as your husband is maintaining status. US immigration laws also should not create any issues with a funds transfer, but check Canadian laws and US Tax Laws.

H-4 for Canadian Citizen

Canadian citizens can apply for H-4 at the border.

Unlawful Presence

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that the mere fact that there is no I-94 does not determine whether or not an individual overstays. Moreover, an individual who is admitted as a B, but does not receive an I-94 either on the southern or northern border is in a legally materially different status than an individual who is admitted as duration of status.

H-1 for Canadian PR with J-1 issue

If you have neither complied with the J-1 home residency requirement, nor obtained a waiver, you cannot get an H-1. Make sure you are indeed subject to the 2-year HRR. You may not be - then an H-1 is a possibility. Go here to ask DOS for an advisory opinion: