Frequently Asked Questions - K-1 Visa

K1 Visa co-sponsorship

Anyone who is a US Citizen or green card holder can co-sponsor affidavits of support .

DOMA and Same-sex Marriages

A statement issued by Janet Napolitano, Secretary of Homeland Security, appears to clear the way for immigration of same-sex spouses.  She said: "After last week's decision by the Supreme C

Applying for K-1 visa

If you intend to get married within 90 days of his arrival, apply for K-1 visa for him.

K-1 Visa Automatic Visa Revalidation

Yes. U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that there is no law or regulation that precludes K-1 visa holders from benefiting from the automatic revalidation provision, provided all entry requirements and criteria are met, and their K-1 status has not changed since their initial K-1 admission.

Visitor visa rejected

You must tell the truth. The better visa for you is K-1, if you want to get married in USA. Your chances of getting a B visa do not appear to be very good.


This will not be an easy K-1. First, the age difference is likely to viewed by the govt. as an indication of fraud. Second, you are required to meet - unless there are some extraordinary circumstances. Kids and drunk driving should not be an issue.

Can I petition my girlfriend

Yes you can. Normally, I prefer K-1 - marriage in USA route.

K1 or K3

The fiance visa is, generally speaking, faster.

K-1 Visa AOS

I think you will be fine. As I recall, the law only requires you to get married within 90 days. But confirm this information and do check with a lawyer as to whether you may travel or not while AOS is pending. This could be the only issue I can think of.

Green Card through marriage

You could look into a fiancee visa (K-1). It can take a few months.