Add new comment

Potomac Service Center Now Processing Certain Form I-765 Cases

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

On March 1, USCIS began transferring certain cases to the Potomac Service Center (PSC) from other service centers to balance workloads. The affected casework includes Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, filed by F-1 and M-1 students seeking Optional Practical Training (OPT) and J-1 dependents.

How You Will Be Affected

If USCIS transfer your case, USCIS will send you a transfer notice. Your original receipt number will not change and the transfer will not delay the processing of your case.

The filing location and instructions for these forms will not change. Please continue to file the forms at the address listed under Where to File in the Form I-765 Instructions and on the Web page.

How to Track the Status of Your Case

Check your case status online with your receipt number. You can also sign up to receive automatic case status updates by email.

If you have any questions regarding your case, submit an inquiry online using e-Request tool or call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 800-375-5283 (TYY 800-767-1833). When asking about your case status, please provide USCIS with your original receipt number and specify that your case was transferred to a new location.

If USCIS send you any notice (such as a Request for Evidence) please read the notice carefully and follow the instructions provided.

If you move while your case is pending, you must inform USCIS of your address change. You may file a change of address on USCIS website or by calling the NCSC. It is important that you notify USCIS of any address change as soon as possible, so that you continue to receive notifications from USCIS.

How to Fix Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Errors

If your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card was approved by the PSC and contains incorrect information that you believe is due to USCIS error, please follow the instructions below:

Submit a letter that explains the error. Include the EAD card containing the incorrect information, documents showing that USCIS made an error (such as a copy of the application you sent to USCIS with your correct information, a copy of your birth certificate, with your correct name). Send your letter and supporting documents to the Nebraska Service Center at

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Nebraska Service Center
PO Box 82521
Lincoln, NE 68501-2521

Please do not send the letter and card to the PSC. If USCIS made an error, you do not need to submit a new Form I-765 or pay a new filing fee.

Nonimmigrant Visas: 
Immigration Law :