USCIS reminds customers that Public Law 111-9, signed by President Obama on March 20, 2009, extends the date until Sept. 30, 2009 by which international medical graduates have to have been granted J-1 nonimmigrant status in order to later qualify for the "Conrad 30" program. Before this latest extension was granted, the most recent sunset date for qualifying J-1 admission was March 6, 2009.
Reference Document: STATE 017314, Date 2/09
TO ALL DIPLOMATIC AND CONSULAR POSTS
We have won several cases on extreme and exceptional hardship grounds in addition to the more routine J-1 waivers. We have also processed several J-1 changes of MUA location matters for physicians.
The Exchange Visitor Visa
I am on F-1/J-1 visa (student visa). Can I apply for green card (Permanent Residency)?
1. I am curruntly on HIB Visa for the past 5yrs and 2 months (GC process started and 1-140 approved) working for a State Health Department.
J-1 VISA WAIVER (Conrad State 30, Extreme Hardship, No Objection)
The fee schedule for J visa (fees are payable by personal or corporate checks) is as follows:
|1.||Legal fees (for our Office): $3,200 payable at the commencement of the case|
|2.|| Filing fees (to the USCIS)
Form DS 3035: $215
Form I-612: $585
|3.||Federal Express Expenses: approx. $100|
After a long-term relationship, earlier this year I married a U.S. citizen. I do not want to change my immigration status and do not wish to immigrate nor reside permanently in the United States since we both have steady jobs outside the U.S. and I do not want to leave my country. All I want is to be able to travel temporarily into the U.S. for pleasure and leisure as most tourists do, once or twice a year for a couple of weeks each time. I want to know if I can just apply for a new B-1/B-2 tourist visa to travel into the U.S. or if my husband needs to file an I-130 petition for alien relative and I-129 and K visa thereafter instead –which I understand would be the right process if I ever wanted to adjust status or become a U.S. permanent resident.
This is upto the discretion of the consulate and then again upto CBP when you land in USA. Consulates have the discretion to issue you a B visa - despite your presumed immigrant intent - if they are convinced that you will return. This is true for all cases where a B (or F or similar) visa is sought while GC is pending or could be pending.