Employment-Based (EB) Green Card Overview

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Immigration through Employment 

One of the ways a foreign national (alien) can become a permanent resident is through a permanent employment opportunity in the United States. There are five employment-based preference categories.

  • First preference is for priority workers including persons of extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, and multinational organization executives and managers.
  • The Second preference is for physicians, members of the professions holding advanced degrees, and persons of exceptional ability.
  • The Third preference is for professionals, skilled and other workers, including nurses and physical therapists.
  • The Fourth preference provides for special immigrants including religious workers.
  • The Fifth preference is an investor-related category, which grants permanent residency to persons who invest significant funds in the US and create 10 jobs for US workers. 

Click on the links to the left to learn more about each preference category.


We have paid for my daughter's GC since March 23, 2016 until now we dont have it yet...where and how can we check the status of her GC. Why is it taking so long for her GC to arrive?

Lily, call USCIS customer service.

Note: Not intended to create attorney-client relationship.  Answers could be incomplete, incorrect or outdated.  Use caution.

Hello Rajiv,

I have following questions to ask you. I really appreciate if you can answer me.

I have H1b since Jun 2007 with one of the Desi consulting company in New Jersey and applied for Green card in EB2 category on 2009. I got my EAD and advance parole (AP) in 2012. I got married after get the EAD/AP and my wife came to USA on H4 visa as I am working on H1b till today. I have valid H1b till 2018 and valid EAD/AP till April 2017.

My wife is 100% house wife now and she is not interested with further study or job.

I am on bench period last one month and my desi consultant company terminates me next one month if I am not able to get project. I am planning to do H1b transfer to different company. I have below questions to ask you,

1. If I transfer my H1b to any new company, what is the status of my current EAD/AP which I got from my current employer? Will have to apply entire green card process again from new company? Will my EAD/AP card going to void?

2. How can I continue my green card process with new company after H1b transfer? What documents required to continue my green card process with new company?

3. I have H1b till Sep-2018 and have I-140 approved. I already passed 6 years of H1b. if I will not get my Green card till Sep-2018. Will my H1b going to extend next 3 years or not?

4. What is the use of AC21? If I use AC21, Will my wife stay with me in USA?

Thank you.

Hi i am interested in applying for a BA (hons) in youth and community work. What I would like to know before I do this is if it is possible for me to get employment and residency in the US with this degree? I am from the UK if that matters at all.

Rebecca, having a degree is not by itself a path to green card. Look into H-1, J-1 and F-1 visas.

Note: Not intended to create attorney-client relationship.  Answers could be incomplete, incorrect or outdated.  Use caution.

I have my Perm and 140 approved and waiting for green card , with my PD on May 2012 on EB3, its going to take a while for it to get current. So Can I change the status of my kids from H4 to F1 while they are doing college. When it becomes current should we change the status of the kids back to H4 or can we apply for 485 for the kids in F1


Changing to F-1 while a green card is ending can be uncertain because of immigrant intent. Dependents can go directly to green card from F-1.

Note: Not intended to create attorney-client relationship.  Answers could be incomplete, incorrect or outdated.  Use caution.