L Visa - Live Discussions from our Forums
I am currently on L1A visa working in the United States.
I am planning to take an unpaid leave for 4-6 weeks and then continue with my work for some personal reasons. Not medical reasons and I am not going out of the country.
My company is ok with me to take the leave as they have no objections.
1. How long can I go on an unpaid leave in the US on an L1 visa?
2. Is 6 weeks too much?
3. Is it better to go for 4 weeks only unpaid?
4. Is it not legal to stay in the US unpaid for a month?
Please do let me know as soon as possible, as I may have to take decisions based on the same.
(Main reason - I need to take a break due to stress at work)
I have L1 Visa valid till AUG 2016 but my petition end date is FEB 2015.
So in this case if i want to apply for extension then generally how much time it takes for petition approval?
Also my company is offering me to get my H1B done but i am not willing to do it because i applied for my spouse L2 EAD. If i apply for H1B and if it gets approved then my spouse will not able to work here.
So could you please suggest me
1] Should apply for L1 extension or H1B visa?
2] Which would be beneficial for both of us?
3] How much time it takes for L1 petition extension as i have L1 visa?
I am currently on a leaf of absence with my Belgian employer. We are both looking for a way to start working remote again here from the US. However, it seems really hard for my employer to get everything arranged from Belgium.
What they proposed earlier was that I would work via an American temporary agency and that they would invoice my Belgian employer. However, all the temporary agencies I started were not really interested in this setup.
Another route we are looking at is that I create my own company here in the US (LLC?) and that I will invoice my Belgian employer directly.
However, I really do not know where to start with this.
- Can I as an expat start a company (the only thing I need to do within this company is make invoices)
- If I can start a company, what type of company would this be? (LLC?)
- what would be the minimum cost be to start such a company?
I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction with this.
Thank you very much.
My story: I'm Canadian and working in the US on a L1-B Visa for Company A. I have a great opportunity to work for a UK-based company (although in the US still) and need to know what requirements are needed for my Visa situation.
I assume I cannot remain on the L1-B as it's sponsored by Company A. Would I simply need to re-apply for a new Visa (H1-B, perhaps?) through the new company? Or is there a way to do a simple switchover from Company A to Company B? Is the H1-B my only option?
I was reading various Case studies on your website and hence decided to get ahead with your company. The reason for my message is to brief you about my case scenario and get some advice from members
My Dad is in India who is manages and also is a business partner in 3 Partnership firms. The biggest firm has sales of $5million. He owns 25% of share. Other partners have 30%, 20%,20% and 5% share. The Indian Company is into Marketing, Distribution, Wholesale of consumer goods.
He is planning to setup a business in USA. The intend is to setup a business in USA with immigration intends. The business in USA will be different from Indian Business. Two options under consideration are: Recycling or Restaurant (Investment $45-75k).
1> The business in USA- He wants to have 100% Ownership if possible. Is this a red flag? or is it possible? One other reason for this is to make tax , profit sharing, and business management easy by having 100% ownership. The Indian company is OK/agreed with this.
2> Worst case he can have Indian partnership firm have a stake in USA firm but later buy the stocks down the line. Is it possible
3> My dad is active in business. He is age 71. Is that a red flag. He has 30+ yrs of business experience.
4> L-1A or L1-B- Which visa does he qualify for? Whats the difference?
Having gone through the L1A (for Managers) requirements I understand the following along with my role mapping:
1. Individual to lead a function - I head the commercial finance for US (third level reporting into the CFO) with 12 member team of chartered accountants and MBAs
2. Future role in US - decentralization of the present function to US and still lead the team in offshore and hire and expand the team through local recruitment in US
3. Continue to set directions for the function and align to organizational objectives
4. Education background - Full time MBA Finance & Strategy
5. Working for the same company for the past 8 years
6. The company is a $8Bn Indian IT
7. Skills required for the future role in US:
a. Negotiation skills with Customer for commercial and contract closures
b. Leadership skills to manage decentralization and build team and manage overseas cultural differences
c. Technical skills to manage the tool used for pricing the services and review the work of the team members
8. I already have a business visa (multiple entries) and I keep travelling for customer contracts very often since I lead this geo
9. I also have business visas for Netherlands, Singapore & UK - Travels to these geos are limited though.
Basis the above details is their a thorough eleigibility of L1A. While I understand that LVisas in general is getting rejected from India,however, would first want to get a comfort on whether at all the profile is eligible for L1A.
Request your opinion. Happy to answer any queries.
My i94 shows date as Feb 2015 which matches my PED.
The max out time for L1-B is 5 years (correct me if wrong), so can i still apply for extension of Petition after Feb 2015.
What are my options if I want to continue after Feb 2015.
Thanks for your response
What are the requirements for an L1 VISA? Would a place like a hospital have the ability to sponsor her for a L1 VISA? I would need to be able to move over and work in the USA too (under I guess an L2 VISA?).
Thanks a lot, we really need to find out if this is possible before we spend the resources to get her US accreditation.
Here is my situation:
- I have a petition for extension of my L1A visa pending (I 129)
- My initial L1A visa was approved for 1 year and ended Oct 26 2012
- Petition for L1A extension was filed before expiration date
- Received RFE in Dec 2012 and answered RFE within the deadline (March 2013)
- Actual status is still RFE Review
- Filed the petition for I 140 and have it approved since 3 days
- To complicate things, I lost my German passport together with the I 94 about 6 months ago and have a new passport, but without the visa stamp in it and without I 94
What should I do, not to jeopardy my GC petition (either Consulate Processing or I 485)?
If the L1 A extension is denied, is my stay right now in the US considered unlawful?
Thank you so much for your help!!!
I came USA on l2 visa, already applied for EAD.
I have a small family based business basically an online store selling indian clothes.
Can they send me a bulk shipment and i later ship them as per orders here in USA.
Basically, what i will do here is just marketing, or may be contacting some stores and supplying
There is no money involved .
DO I need any legal permissions for doing same from my home.
I am in USA on and off since 2004. As of now I have completed 6yrs and 5 month stay in USA (Since 2004 till now). I was never been out of USA for one full year. I am always on L1. Currently I am on L1A and my validity is till Feb 2015. My employer is not filing for GC for me.
I am intrested to know:
1) What are the option that I have to stay beyond Feb 2015 (Can i work with other company to file GC for me - By looking at tenure i have stayed in USA)
2) Is H1B an option for me ? (as i have completed 6+yrs in USA with out one year break)
I hold a US L1B visa which is about to expire in March 2014. Till date I have not travelled to US on this visa(L1B) and spent most of the time working in my home country. Now, I am expected to travel to US on L1B in Jan, 2014 for an assignment of 1year, I have 3 questions here:
1) For what duration can I get 1-94 at port of entry in US ? Till expiry of my L1B or upto 1 year.
2) In case I get 1-94 for a short duration (say till March 2014) and then I go for L1B extension, will I have an edge as I spent most of the tenure in my home country and came to US just near L1B expiry.
3) or should I apply for new L1B in my home country and then only travel to US to avoid any complications ? If Yes, is it possible to apply for new blanket L1B before expiry of my existing L1B visa ?